Sometimes you get the urge for a thrill – but can we ever get this when flying on a plane? So much weight, and so many people, doesn’t exactly make for a fast ride!
So…which planes in the sky are the fastest?!
Commercial Passenger Jets
1. Boeing 747-8i – Mach 0.86, but you’ll have to fly Air China, Korean Air and Lufthansa to experience this one!
2. Boeing 747-400 – Mach 0.855, experience it with the likes of British Airways, China Airlines, Korean Air and Lufthansa.
3. Airbus A380 Mach 0.85 cruising speed.
Private Passenger Jets
1. Cessna Citation X+ – At a max speed of Mach 0.935, it’s the world’s fastest business jet. Although you’ll have to drop $22 million to purchase it new!
2. Gulfstream G650 – Fully equipped kitchen and space for 18 passengers, this jet can reach a max speed of Mach 0.925.
3. Dassault Falcon 7X – This French private jet is like a miniBoeing 727, yet it can reach Mach 0.90.
Out of Service Jets
Of course we know that some of the fastest planes are those which are now out of service, due to expensive of flying them at such speeds around the world.
1. The Concorde – Created with the ability to get up to Mach 2.2, 2.2 times the speed of light. With a cruising speed of Mach 2.02 – this plane stopped flying the skies in 2003, but there are rumours is could be back in action in 2019 due to strong feelings from fans!
2. Tupolev TU-144 – similar to the Concorde with Mach 2.0, the Russian counterpart was discontinued due to safety concerns.
If you’re feeling the need for speed – trying out a private jet might just be the way to go to get your adrenaline pumping ;)! Download Ahoy for super speedy flight booking.